Thursday, May 19, 2011

Good bye Baba, I love you.

So this week I experienced what happens when something happens to a family member when you are here in Orlando working. On the 11th of May I got the phone call that I never wanted to hear and that is that my Baba (grandmother) passed away, I was at work at the time with 4 more hours of the shift, I talked to my manager and they gave me a early release that day and the day off the next day so I can work out what was going on. It turns out that the bereavement policy is 5 paid days for out of state and 3 paid days for in state since my family was in Alberta I got the out of state policy so that I could travel home, you need to fill out a purple form and then get your work to fill out a section and housing to fill out a part and then you show it to immigrations when you come back into the states.

so the time line was on Wednesday the 11th I found out the news and was ER, on Thursday they gave me a day off and and a friend dragged me out of the house, Friday and Saturday I worked my shifts and then on Sunday I headed home. Monday and Tuesday was family time and wed. was the funeral then on Thursday I flew back to Orlando, On the plane I sat next to a little boy who was going to Disney and I gave him a Mickey sticker.

I’m glad I went home for if I didn’t I would have regretted not going for I was very close to my Baba since I was a kid I have either seen or spoke to my Baba every few days, so the simple fact that now that I can’t call her anymore makes me quite sad.

But on a different note my family might come out to see me in Nov. if holidays can be taken.

Today I go back to work, I have brought some maple cookies back for my coworkers and I have also brought myself back 2 jars of cheese whiz because they don’t have it here, I also got some Canadian chocolate bars and all dressed chips.  

will that’s all for this week,

Cheers,

Good Morning,

Good Afternoon, and

Good Night

1 comment:

  1. I'm really sorry to hear about your Grandmother, but it's lovely to hear that even after such a horrible thing, you still managed to spread some magic by giving someone a Mickey sticker on the plane! I'm sure your Grandmother would be very proud! :)

    ReplyDelete